Thursday, February 18, 2010

Time is speeding up here on the West Coast




It's unbelievable how quickly time is passing this week! It's hard to keep up writing with the pace and energy of the Olympics and as I write I have Stephan & Becca in one city for the first time since November so I have major ADHD right now! I'll see how this post goes.

Luckily I have the next few days off to explore and my volunteer shifts have almost forced me to learn where things are in the city... and I find myself teaching my friends good places to go, where the busy spots are and what's fun to do and see.

My shifts are long and some days are really exciting and other days it's hard to get their one time so I'm happy to have a few days off. Two days ago it was tough to get up and put on my volunteer uniform – fatigue, routine, apathy and sore legs set-in. As cheesy as this sounds, I download the Olympic Soundtrack, and listened to “I believe” on the walk and bus ride to Waterfront Station. Re-listening to the song with lyrics, I really do think there is something much more global to pull from them:

Sometimes when I feel I've had enough
And I feel like giving up
You willed me to be all I can be
Now nothing can stop me

I believe in the power that comes
From a world brought together as one
I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power of you and I


It seemed to do the job as I walked to the bus and started heading towards the city centre... seeing more and more people... it was a good re-framing for my mindset.

A few of my roles include:

“Olympic Torch this way. Down the Stairs. Two blocks down. On Your Right."
Shuffling thousands of visitors to the flame. This job was my least favourite because where I was stationed, each person walked towards me as if they were the first person to ask "Where's the torch?" "Where's that cauldron thingy?" "Where's the flame?" "Am I close to that outdoor fire?"

My other least favourite job so far was barricading people to line up for the Canada Line, and the line got so long that Vancouverites got really frustrated and huffed off at us. I can’t blame them. If I had to be shuffled all the way to Bloor and Spadina to get on the St. George subway, I’d be utterly perturbed, which is what we’re essentially doing to manage the crowds. Especially if it put an extra 30 minutes on my commute.

**yelling*** "Hockey game this way. Around the Station. Down the Stairs" On top of a barricade. This job was my favourite because I got to see 99% Canadian fans dressed in red and white, costumes of every type and only 1% Norwegian fans! We shuffled thousands of fans into the game and it was fun to feel so appreciated and thanked by the fans who were pumped to see the mens Team Canada play their first game.

All in all I am really enjoying being so much a part of the games, in the trenches... I've met some interesting people so far - a retired ESL Elementary School Teacher, a Financial Analysit, a Lawyer from Austria, young people, people with families back home and people with disabilities... it's a very diverse and interesting team.

We've had people yell at us, thank us, stand up and cheer, take pictures of us, ask to take pictures with me, offer money for our jackets. I've had someone take my toque too :(

Today Becca, Stephan and I are going out to explore, so hopefully I'll have more exciting things to report tomorrow!

GO CANADA GO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment